Dehydrated foods are very popular option for ultralight backpacking. We can dehydrate almost anything.
- They are very lightweight.
- You don’t need to add any chemical or add-in to preserve them.
- You don’t loose any important nutritious item by dehydrating a food.
- if you don’t have any stove you can eat dehydrated foods without cooking them again.
- Only thing you need to add is water. In case you didn’t find water you can put them in your mouth and keep it to make it softer.
Foods which are already dehydrated:
- Flour ( making pancake, bannock, grit, …)
- Noodle and pasta and macaroni
Foods which you can buy dehydrated:
- Ready packages like
- Powdered milk
- Powdered eggs
You can dehydrate:
- Fruits (Banana is very light and easy to dehydrate)
There are few tutorials by Karen Hood called “cave cooking” which you can find great ideas for outdoor cooking. I haven’t seen better tutorial yet and I highly recommend them. Here is the link:
It is easy to dehydrate your food using a dehydrator or an oven. I can dehydrate and send you if you are not able to di this at home.